|Beef Stroganoff with Noodles|
Here is a great recipe for dairy free Beef Stroganoff. If you can have dairy then just use regular sour cream in place of the dairy free sour cream substitute. The first night we had the stroganoff, we had it with egg noodles. My daughter had a bit of trouble with the noodles, so the next night we had it short grain brown rice. It was great with the brown rice. I’m sure that it would be just as good with white rice if you don’t’ care for brown. If you do want to try brown rice, make sure that you use short grain brown rice. It has a nice firm texture and a bit of a nutty flavor to it. It holds it’s own with the Beef Stroganoff. If you are short on time, it should be done after simmering for 20 minutes, but it’s better if you can let it simmer for the full hour.
|Beef Stroganoff with Short Grain Brown Rice|
2.5 lbs chuck roast cut into strips (fat and gristle removed) OR 2 lbs stir fry beef
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp dried dill
⅛ tsp paprika
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
5 green onions, sliced (white and green parts)
1 16oz container of button mushrooms, quartered
1⅓ cups beef broth
1 tsp Dijon mustard
⅓ cup white wine
⅓ cup Tofutti Better than Sour Cream*
1 tsp salt
½-1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp dried dill
¼ tsp paprika
1 tsp minced garlic
¼ tsp lemon juice
Cooked short grain brown rice or cooked egg noodles
· In a large plastic zip top bag, combine and mix the all purpose flour, salt, pepper, dill, and paprika. Reserve ⅓ the flour.
· Add the strips of roast or the stir fry beef to the bag. Close and coat all the pieces of meat with the flour mixture.
· In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the beef in oil.
· Push beef to the side and add the onions and green onions, cook for 5 minutes or until translucent and tender.
· Push the onions to the side and add the mushrooms, cook for 5 minutes or until they start to brown.
· On the empty side of the pan, stir the reserved flour into the empty side of the pan.
· Slowly add stir the beef broth into the flour.
· Add the remaining 8 ingredients from the Dijon mustard to the lemon juice.
· Mix everything together.
· Bring to a boil.
· Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
· Serve over rice or noodles.